Friday 17th July – Pocket Social and The Art of Social Dancing
St Augustine’s Church Hall, Racecourse Rd Hamilton
Friday night at St Augustine’s launches the Weekend of Swing at 6:30 with Peter Flahiff’s The Art of Social Dancing. This is a talking session that will set the stage for all of the weekend’s activities to follow and possibly for the rest of your dancing life… Don’t be late!
At 7:30 we have a beginner’s class aimed at first-timers – take your first swing dance steps here!
From 8:30, The Highline Orchestra will be bringing original vintage arrangements of the most swinging songs to dance the night away. DJ music will follow until 11:30
- Time: 6:30 – 11:30
- $10 – The Art of Social Dancing and
- $25 for the class plus social dancing
- Dress: A little bit fancy
- Facilities: Sprung wooden floor, BYO drinks
- Band: The Highline Orchestra
Saturday 18th July – The Danish Club
The Danish Club, 36 Austin St, Newstead, Brisbane, QLD
Saturday night at the Danish Club will feature the Pantheon of Swing, a band formed expressly for dancers! The Danish Bar will be serving a selection of Danish beers and schnapps.
- Time: 8:00 – 11:30 pm
- Cost: $25 online/on door – included in Full Weekend Pass
- Dress: Dress to Impress! This is the night to put on your fancy duds if you feel like it.
- Facilities: Danish Bar! Air-conditioned. Sprung timber floor.
- Band: Andrew Garton and his Pantheon of Swing
SUNDAY EVENING – Hot Club at Wandering Cooks
Cnr Fish Lane & Cordelia Street, South Brisbane, QLD
Every Sunday afternoon, Brisbane dancers, musicians and patrons descend on Wandering Cooks to celebrate the best in Gyspy Jazz music. Experience the event that has brought the Brisbane dance and music scenes together.
- Time: doors open at 3:30 pm with band from 4 – 6. Swing DJ until finish at 7:30 due to noise restrictions.
- Cost: FREE ENTRY
- Dress: However you like! This is a lower key wind-down evening, but you may certainly wear your other fancy duds if the mood comes upon you 😉
- Facilities: Full bar with craft beer on tap and in cans, wine, multiple wandering kitchens. Stay for dinner!
- Smooth concrete floor with a “big-ass fan” over the dance area.
- Band: Jan Van Dijk and his Swing BAIT